8/12/2009

Introduction to culture

All dressed up for the ballet at Kleinhan's Music Hall, Marge, Patrice, and Pat.

Aunt Penny introduced her neices to this cultural experience for March birthdays in 1961. Patrice was ten on the 28th. Marge was ten on the 29th. I was nine on the 29th.

Aunt Penny also took me to visit the Albright Knox Art Gallery for the first time to see a major exhibition of Vincent VanGogh and gave me my first art book.

She also made possible my first adventure in travel at age twelve when my friend, Peggy, and I took a Greyhound bus to visit Washington DC and share a bit of her pre-Marlo Thomas/Mary Tyler Moore single career-girl life.

At the time, Aunt Penny was the only unmarried woman with a job (besides a teacher) that I had encountered.

The highpoint of the visit was a specially-arranged tour of the White House by her friend (who worked there) and a wave from President Lyndon Johnson who noticed us from out in the Rose Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment